Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

CHEAP ORIGINAL ART

My father is a painter and I grew up around a number of artists of all kinds.  My home town, St. Louis, has a great art museum, when I lived there was free.  It sponsored wonderful exhibits including Van Gogh and Matisse.  I spend a lot of time visiting local galleries to take in the creations of such talented artists.  But, collecting original art is out of my budget.  Or is it? 

See what I picked up recently at an estate sale for . . .

$2.50!  It is a water color by a local Oregon artist of a scene in the Cascades Mts.
Or how about this one from the same sale:
$2.50 again.  This one is a small oil painting of the Oregon coast. 

I found this next piece at an estate sale about 2 years ago.  It was a crowded sale, but I got in early and found it in one of the bedrooms lying on a bed full of stuff.  It was quite a bit more  . . . $15!  As I carried it through the sale, other people commented on it and remarked what a nice piece.

This is another Oregon artist and is a wood block print of one of the coastal trees along the beach.  The artist is known as a painter and printmaker. 

                          
                                  MY COLLECTION


Soon to be expanded, I hope.  I am always looking for the right piece and the right cheap price!  Let me know if you have any special original art finds.

15 comments:

Victoria said...

Those are so beautiful, I especially love the third one! Popped in from Show and Tell Friday, new follower:)

Sue Jack said...

Isn't it fun finding great art for a song?

A few years back I found an oil at an estate sale for $15. I took it home and researched the artist on the web. He was from the east coast and taught painting at an east coast college. My painting was valued at $950!!! My husband couldn't believe it....so he sprang for the fabulous frame that now surrounds it. Definitely one of my "treasures"!

Your pieces are wonderful, too....congrats!!

Sue

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Thanks for your visit Michele! You've started a nice collection of found art. I've found an amazing number of original paintings and prints over the last several years in the antiques business. I once found an original Redoute Rose print in a handmade frame for ten dollars at Goodwill and sold it for 300 dollars. Many people appreciate good art, but then there seem to be a lot of folks tossing it out too. I still find wonderful art at flea markets (junk shops) for just a few dollars. I'm always sorry when it sells. Happy blogging!

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

Beautiful collection. I also collect art and have shown some of what I have on my blog. My best purchase was a listed Vermont artist snow scene that I purchased for $15.00 at a yardsale and in later years sold for over $800. I love snow scenes and beach and ship paintings. They pull at my heart strings. Thanks for sharing your lovely art. ~~Sherry~~

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Beautiful paintings. You have a good eye for spotting art. Several years ago I found a really ugly original oil painting at a yard sale for $5. I didn't even like the painting, but researched it and it was from a Belgian artist. I took it to an auction house and they sold it for $2,150. Not a bad profit, I love finds like that.
Your paintings look really good grouped together.

Debra@CommonGround said...

You found some wonderful pieces, all beautiful! Thanks so much for linking up with VIF!
hugs,
Debra

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

What exciting pieces you found! Very special and at an incredible price!

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

NIce stuff!
And I love your mail box!!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Those are really nice and at great prices. There was quiet a bit of art work at the first sale I went to last weekend, but nothing I was interested in, plus it was pretty pricey.

foreverdecorating said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I used acrylic paint for all the detail work and just sealed it good.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Hi Michele...thanks for visiting my blog and your nice comment. I have several framed pieces of art that I got when my in-laws downsized from a 3 story house to a condo. I move them around and switch them out. Some I would never have paid attention to in a retail setting but because they are family pieces I have grown to love them. Keep working on your collection. Come by again for a visit. I'm now following you. ~Ann

Mallorie said...

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by Happy Home! I've used Watco on many different wood colors. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure you can use on anything!! It works WONDERS! I don't know what I would do without it!

Rebecca said...

Hello
Thank you so much for stopping by!
Your art pieces are lovely and at such a great price.
My father was an artist also and did not like prints, somehow his thinking influenced mine and I hardly ever bought a print. I have collected old oils now for years.
Have a wonderful weekend
Blessings
Rebecca

very merry vintage style said...

These are great-what a lovely collection!
Mary

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

I love the Oregon paintings. There's nothing better than purchasing art made by local artists.

And thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a kind note. I'm your newest follower! Can't wait to see new additions to your collection!

Emily
http://lovelybeasts.blogspot.com